Skip to content

Posts from the ‘Horse Travel’ Category


Brushy Creek Resort and Lodge

Brushy Creek Resort and Lodge

Located just 45 miles from Rolla, MO and nestled in the Ozark Mountains is Brushy Creek Lodge.  This location sports 3 rental cabins, a rental teepee,  and number of campsites.  While the cabins are not fancy, they are clean and maintained.  On some weekends, food is provided in the main lodge for a moderate cost.  The food is mostly hard-fried with a salad bar.  If you can’t eat heavy while riding, be prepared to bring your own meals.

Read more »


Chosing a horse Trailer

Whether you are looking to buy a new horse trailer or a used one, it’s easy to be influenced by fancy options and shiny construction materials. But, for a horse owner who wants to promote safe and stress free hauling for the horse, choosing a trailer from the horse’s point of view is very important. Since many horse trailers are built to appeal to the human perspective, this may not be as easy as one may think.

Considering the nature of the horse as a species, it’s a minor miracle that our equine friends get into a trailer at all. Horses are creatures of the prairie who are designed for life in wide open spaces. Because they are prey animals, they have a highly developed “flight or fight” response. When danger threatens, horses run away. That is how they survive. Feral horses who don’t run fast enough end up as dinner! They also have to watch their footing so they don’t fall into a hole or quicksand!

Read more »


Horse Travel Checklist

Before you go on that big trip, there are a few legal things you will need to know:

  • In the United States, you must have a coggins test done before you can enter any publically available horse facility.  Coggins tests are taken yearly by the vet and are only good for 1 year.  This document will be requested  at shows, trips and anywhere else you might take your horse.  Some states also require a test for piroplasmosis.  If you pass through the state and do not unload, you will not be required to have it.  If you unload at all, be sure to have this document.
  • If you leave the state with your horse, you will need a health certificate from your vet.  These certificates are generally accepted for 30 days from the date of issue.
  • If you travel to a state with documented piraplasmosis, you will also need to have a yearly piroplasmisis test.  If you are traveling through the state and do not unload from the trailer,you may not need the test. If you unload in a piroplasmosis state, you will need to have documentation of that test.  Contact your state’s agricultural department for more information.  Whatever you do, be sure to be informed about this before you travel.
  • Be sure that there is drinkable water where you are going.  If not, bring water from home for your horse.  Also, bring your horse’s own hay and grain.  Horses can colic and in severe cases die from changing feed sources abruptly, so only change feed gradually.