Skip to content

Posts tagged ‘travel with hay’


Horse Travel Checklist

Before you go on that big trip, there are a few legal things you will need to know:

  • In the United States, you must have a coggins test done before you can enter any publically available horse facility.  Coggins tests are taken yearly by the vet and are only good for 1 year.  This document will be requested  at shows, trips and anywhere else you might take your horse.  Some states also require a test for piroplasmosis.  If you pass through the state and do not unload, you will not be required to have it.  If you unload at all, be sure to have this document.
  • If you leave the state with your horse, you will need a health certificate from your vet.  These certificates are generally accepted for 30 days from the date of issue.
  • If you travel to a state with documented piraplasmosis, you will also need to have a yearly piroplasmisis test.  If you are traveling through the state and do not unload from the trailer,you may not need the test. If you unload in a piroplasmosis state, you will need to have documentation of that test.  Contact your state’s agricultural department for more information.  Whatever you do, be sure to be informed about this before you travel.
  • Be sure that there is drinkable water where you are going.  If not, bring water from home for your horse.  Also, bring your horse’s own hay and grain.  Horses can colic and in severe cases die from changing feed sources abruptly, so only change feed gradually.